Round 2 at the Old Pequliar on April 1, 2008
Average score: 6.48/10 (21 teams)
1) When members of U2 and R.E.M. played at Clinton’s inaugural festivities as Automatic Baby, what U2 song did they play?
2) China discovered it had a population of about 60 million people when its first-ever census concluded in what year? (Julian calendar)
3) According to the Greek poet Hesiod, how many gorgons were there before Medusa got her head lopped off?
4) In English, what’s the only number with a name spelled with exactly as many letters as the number itself?
5) How many pillars of Islam are there?
6) According to musical superstition, a composer will die shortly after completing how many symphonies?
7) What song was the biggest hit from Prince’s “love symbol” album?
8) If you’re raised Mormon, how old are you when you hit the age of accountability, when you know the difference between right and wrong in the eyes of God?
9) What Jimi Hendrix song, which turns a couple of numerals upside-down, was featured on the Easy Rider soundtrack?
10) What risquÃ© 1979 comedy was marketed as “a temptingly tasteful comedy for adults who can count”?
2) 2 AD
9) If 6 Was 9
April Fool’s! I wasn’t sure if this round was a good idea or not; from what I could tell, about half the teams figured out the joke (which was still no guarantee of a perfect score), and most people were at least not offended when I started reading answers.