(This set of questions comes from quiz night at the 418 Public House in Seattle, and was read on March 18. Keep that in mind when defining “current” events.)
- What kind of event did Guinness, Heineken, and Sam Adams withdraw their sponsorship from because of organizers’ refusal to let gay people participate?
- Former leader of the Westboro Baptist Church Fred Phelps is on his deathbed. He led his church to international prominence in 1998 by picketing the funeral of what Casper, Wyoming native?
- Three people were killed and 22 more were injured when a drunk driver plowed into a crowd waiting see the band X outside the Mohawk nightclub in what city?
- A video created to promote Wren clothing went viral because it featured 20 models doing what?
- What Chinese ecommerce company partly owned by Yahoo announced that they’ll list their possibly record-breaking IPO on the New York Stock Exchange rather than Hong Kong’s?
- Sheryl Sandberg, Jennifer Garner, Diane von Furstenburg, Jane Lynch, and Beyoncé have joined forces to ask people to reconsider using what word, disproportionately used to describe girls?
- What two administrative divisions declared independence from Ukraine and their intentions to become part of the Russian Federation? For a half point each, name the autonomous republic and the city.
- The world’s largest banana producer will be created when the Irish company Fyffes merges with what American company?
- What college team from the Southeastern Conference is the top overall seed in this year’s Division I basketball tournament?
- What restaurant chain filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy on Friday but is not yet toast, as it plans to stay open while restructuring?