Round 1 at the Old Pequliar on Nov. 18, 2008
1) 43 companies in the 2008 Fortune 500 are headquartered in what city, the Fortune 500 home-base champ?
2) The Sunshine Factory, the Heart of Historic Route 66, and the Town Too Tough to Die are all nicknames for cities in which state?
3) Before Obama, the president born furthest west came from Yorba Linda, California. Who was he?
4) What body of water is the largest remnant of Lake Bonneville, which once covered the area now known as the Great Basin?
5) According to the 2000 census, what is the most commonly spoken Native American language in the US?
6) If you start in Georgia and walk the entire Appalachian Trail, you’ll end up at Mt. Katahdin in what state?
7) Sugar Land and Baytown are the two smaller cities in the metropolitan area that includes what Texas city?
8) Eight of the ten largest islands in the United States are located in what state?
9) The US Strategic Petroleum Reserve is stored in underground salt caverns at four sites located in what two states? (half point each)
10) The Bible Belt is bursting with Protestants. The Rust Belt is losing jobs in the steel industry. What’s the defining characteristic of the Jell-O Belt?