A quiz about eponymous laws â€” those that are named after someone.
- Mike Godwin observed in 1990 that as a Usenet discussion grows longer, someone will eventually make an analogy that invokes one of two proper nouns. Name those words for a half point each.
- What critic gave his name to this law: a work â€œis not about what it is about. It is about how it is about it.â€
- What two variables have an inversely proportional relationship when youâ€™re describing a fixed quantity of an ideal gas at a constant temperature, according to Boyleâ€™s Law? Half point each.
- Hanlonâ€™s Razor cautions that you should never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by what?
- According to Betteridgeâ€™s Law of Headlines, any headline that ends in a question mark can be answered with what word?
- Clarkeâ€™s Third Law and Nivenâ€™s Law are complementary observations that what two phenomena are indistinguishable from each other?
- If you apply Dolbearâ€™s law, you can figure out how warm it is by using the behavior of what insect?
- What American journalist, known as the Sage of Baltimore, is sometimes credited with the law â€œThose who can, do. Those who canâ€™t do, teachâ€?
- Brooksâ€™ Law observes that adding additional people to work on a late software project only makes it later. In an often quoted analogy, Brooks noted that nine women cannot do what specific project?
- According to Hofstadterâ€™s Law, coined in the book GÃ¶del Escher Bach, â€œit always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into accountâ€ what?
(This set of questions comes from quiz night at the 418 Public House in Seattle, and was read on March 18. Keep that in mind when defining “current” events.)
- What kind of event did Guinness, Heineken, and Sam Adams withdraw their sponsorship from because of organizersâ€™ refusal to let gay people participate?
- Former leader of the Westboro Baptist Church Fred Phelps is on his deathbed. He led his church to international prominence in 1998 by picketing the funeral of what Casper, Wyoming native?
- Three people were killed and 22 more were injured when a drunk driver plowed into a crowd waiting see the band X outside the Mohawk nightclub in what city?
- A video created to promote Wren clothing went viral because it featured 20 models doing what?
- What Chinese ecommerce company partly owned by Yahoo announced that theyâ€™ll list their possibly record-breaking IPO on the New York Stock Exchange rather than Hong Kongâ€™s?
- Sheryl Sandberg, Jennifer Garner, Diane von Furstenburg, Jane Lynch, and BeyoncÃ© have joined forces to ask people to reconsider using what word, disproportionately used to describe girls?
- What two administrative divisions declared independence from Ukraine and their intentions to become part of the Russian Federation? For a half point each, name the autonomous republic and the city.
- The worldâ€™s largest banana producer will be created when the Irish company Fyffes merges with what American company?
- What college team from the Southeastern Conference is the top overall seed in this yearâ€™s Division I basketball tournament?
- What restaurant chain filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy on Friday but is not yet toast, as it plans to stay open while restructuring?