(This set of questions comes from quiz night at the 418 Public House in Seattle, and was read on March 18. Keep that in mind when defining “current” events.)
- What kind of event did Guinness, Heineken, and Sam Adams withdraw their sponsorship from because of organizersâ€™ refusal to let gay people participate?
- Former leader of the Westboro Baptist Church Fred Phelps is on his deathbed. He led his church to international prominence in 1998 by picketing the funeral of what Casper, Wyoming native?
- Three people were killed and 22 more were injured when a drunk driver plowed into a crowd waiting see the band X outside the Mohawk nightclub in what city?
- A video created to promote Wren clothing went viral because it featured 20 models doing what?
- What Chinese ecommerce company partly owned by Yahoo announced that theyâ€™ll list their possibly record-breaking IPO on the New York Stock Exchange rather than Hong Kongâ€™s?
- Sheryl Sandberg, Jennifer Garner, Diane von Furstenburg, Jane Lynch, and BeyoncÃ© have joined forces to ask people to reconsider using what word, disproportionately used to describe girls?
- What two administrative divisions declared independence from Ukraine and their intentions to become part of the Russian Federation? For a half point each, name the autonomous republic and the city.
- The worldâ€™s largest banana producer will be created when the Irish company Fyffes merges with what American company?
- What college team from the Southeastern Conference is the top overall seed in this yearâ€™s Division I basketball tournament?
- What restaurant chain filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy on Friday but is not yet toast, as it plans to stay open while restructuring?
I’ll give you a few menu items. You tell me what chain restaurant serves them.
1) Stack Attack Double Cheeseburger, Bacon and Cheese Potato, Chocolate Frosty
2) Loaded Potato Bites, Cherry Turnover, Beef ‘n’ Cheddar
3) Victoria’s Crowned Filet, Cinnamon Apple Oblivion, Bloomin’ Onion
4) Vive La French Toast, Cheese Blintzes, Rooty Tooty Fresh ‘n’ Fruity
5) Citrus Squeeze, Mango-a-go-go, Bright Eyed and Blueberry
6) Kingburger, Bacon and Egg Sandwich, Fat Salad Wedge
7) Prime Rib Ranchero, Honey Bourbon Chicken, Classic Italian
8) Queso Burrito, Poblano Pesto Burrito, Mexican Gumbo
9) Butter Baked Chicken, Farm-Raised Catfish Platter, Fried Chicken Livers
10) Bacon Turkey Bravo sandwich, Frontega Chicken panini, Italian Meat Classic Crispani
Average score (19 teams): 6.42
1) Given that little girls are made of sugar and spice and everything nice, what three ingredients make up little boys?
2) “The boy who lived,” saved from certain death by his mother’s love, is a popular nickname for what fictional character?
3) In 2006, Jacob was the most popular name for baby boys in the US. What name, derived from the Hebrew for “Who is like God,” was second most popular?
4) The holidays Vesak, Hanamatsuri, Bucheonim osin nal, and Lá»… Pháºt Ä‘áº£n all celebrate the birth of what religious figure?
5) What fictional boy was born in Rome at 6:00 a.m. on June 6, 1966?
6) What man-cub, one of Edgar Rice Burroughs’ inspirations for Tarzan, was raised in the jungle by Father and Mother Wolf?
7) What character, introduced on commercials for Freeinternet.com, ended up with his own sitcom and as a spokesman for Quizno’s?
8) The song “Baby Boy” was the second #1 hit off of the album Dangerously in Love, the solo debut for what singer?
9) What holy relic was allegedly a Christmas present from Charlemagne to Pope Leo the III, and in 1983 was allegedly stolen out of a priest’s closet by agents of the Vatican?
10) According to John Lennon’s song “Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy),” a lullaby written for his son Sean, life is what happens to you while you’re busy doing what?
Round 2 at the Old Pequliar on August 7, 2007. Average score (18 teams): 7.56 Continue reading