Round 1 at the Old Pequliar on Nov. 18, 2008
1) Barack Obama’s favorite sweets come from what local chocolatier?
2) If you’re eating something that’s at least 13% milk solids, 3.5% milk fat, 20% cocoa butter, and no more than 55% sugar, according to US regulations, what is it?
3) Daniel Peter invented milk chocolate, applying skills he used in what other profession involving melted material?
4) Nestle Quik chocolate milk mix was first introduced in 1948. What flavor came next, in 1959?
5) What former cast member on In Living Color hosts Comedy Central’s Chocolate News?
6) What West African country is the world’s leading exporter of cocoa, a crop introduced during the French colonial period?
7) What funk album by Parliament shares its name with a controversial phrase used in a 2006 speech by New Orleans mayor Ray Nagin?
8) Roald Dahl’s sequel to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is called Charlie and the … what unusual mode of transportation?
9) Hershey’s Kisses were originally only wrapped in silver foil. What two additional colors did Hershey first use in 1962?
10) According to McSweeney’s, what famous horror writer might have described a Whitman’s Sampler chocolate cherry cordial with this copy: “You must not think me mad when I tell you what I found below the thin shell of chocolate used to disguise this bonbon’s true face. Yes! Hidden beneath its rich exterior is a hideously moist cherry cordial! What deranged architect could have engineered this non-Euclidean aberration? I dare not speculate.”